How to use
- Click on the map to add a waypoint or use the address box to enter one.
- You can click on the route and drag it to change the route.
- Mouse over the elevation chart to see the elevation and the
location on the map.
- Click on a mountain peak to see details about the climb
- Right click on intermediate waypoints and markers to bring up a
menu that will let you change one into the other or delete that
marker/waypoint. You can use this to adjust how many elevations
samples are used for a given segment of the route. This may improve
the climbing statistics.
Google limits the number of waypoints to 10. When you exceed this you
will get a pop-up error saying it is unable to route the new route
and that the MAX WAYPOINTS has been exceeded. Just convert a some
waypoints to destinations.
Downloading your Route
You can download a saved route by right clicking on the download
link. This will allow you to upload the route to a GPS unit for
getting directions etc.
In Chrome browsers you do not have to right click you can
just click it and it will save it in a gpx file with the name of the
Uploading Routes from GPX files (experimental)
In browsers that support the feature you can uplaod a GPX file to
create a route. You can either do it with the upload button or drag
a GPX file onto the map. Way cool!!! I have only tested this with
a few files geneated by Garmin Basemap and Garmin Roadtrip.
So far I have only found support for this feature in the Chrome
Road Cycling Only
This uses Google to route and they only know about roads.
Although some of them are dirt.
What is new
- Changed the user interface to be cleaner and with some nicer
- Elevation data is stored on the server. This will speed up
the loading of saved routes.
- Printing layout cleaned up and put in cut lines for a cheat sheet.
- Calendars have been added. You can put routes on your calendar.
- Added weather and cloud layer.
- Added hooks to remove waypoints and route markers. Just
right click on the waypoint or marker. You can also change one into
- Added checkbox to show only your routes and not everyones.
- Added location based adds.
- I highly recommend using Google's Chrome Browser. It is what
I develop the site with. I try to test most of it on other browsers
but the extensive testing is on Chrome and Safaria.
- Sometimes when creating routes and dragging the cursor gets stuck
in drab mode. Just click the map to get out of this mode.
- Elevation ascent/descent can be off. The elevation data is pulled from
Google and is rasterized so there can be noise in the calculation
for the elevation ascent and descent. I have found that they are
accurate to within about 10%. This will also throw off some of the
To Do List
- Add ability to clear elevation cached data in case it gets corrupted.
- Add the ability to attach notes to saved routes.
- Find a good database for Passes to get names and other data to show
- Possibly turn it into a facebook application so you can only
view your friends routes
Feel free to email me.